Warning over ‘UK’s most dangerous plant’ which can kill pets and humans

Poisonous plants: Vets4Pets reveal which plants can harm pets

Pets are generally curious when it comes to plants, bushes and trees, however, some could cause harm towards them.

1. Oleander

Fiona Jenkins, gardening expert at MyJobQuote.co.uk, explained: “The oleander plant is the UK’s most dangerous plant in gardens due to it being very toxic for both humans and animals.

“This plant is very poisonous, and if you ingest even a very small amount of this plant, it can result in death.

“Physical contact with the plant can cause allergic reactions and severe skin irritations. It’s important to keep oleanders away from children and pets.”

If you do have pets or children in the garden regularly, it’s best to avoid this plant at all costs.

READ MORE: Mum shares best tip to dry wet laundry in ‘half the time’ using fitted sheet

Oleanders have a very distinctive look with clusters of funnel-shaped flowers, in hues of pink, white, red coral or yellow.

2. Foxgloves

Foxgloves are a common woodland plant that grows throughout the UK, with many people opting to have them in their gardens.

However, this plant contains toxic cardiac glycosides, according to the expert, which can result in “serious poisoning”.

3. Deadly nightshade

The expert continued: “Deadly nightshade is a plant with purple and green flowers and untoothed oval leaves.

Don’t miss…
House in coastal town hits the market for £50k – but it’s too dangerous to view[LATEST]
I tried Mary Berry’s ‘foolproof’ Yorkshire pudding recipe[LATEST]
‘I’m a paint expert – these are the best colours to paint your bathroom now’[LATEST]

“It features several green berries that then ripen into a black colour. Every part of this plant is toxic, and the berries are particularly poisonous. Ingesting the berries can result in a range of side effects that can be very dangerous.”

4. Lilies

As all parts of a lily plant can be toxic to animals, they should be avoided completely.

According to Fiona, if ingested, pets may suffer from kidney damage. The gardening pro added: “Unfortunately, this can be fatal. It’s important to keep your pets away from lily plants.

“Lily pollen can easily fall onto your pet’s fur, which they may then ingest when they groom themselves.”

  • Advert-free experience without interruptions.
  • Rocket-fast speedy loading pages.
  • Exclusive & Unlimited access to all our content.

5. English ivy

Although gorgeous and a popular houseplant in the UK, the plant contains triterpenoid saponins.

The expert noted: “These can cause vomiting, hypersalivation, abdominal pains, and diarrhoea if your pet ingests the plant. This trailing plant should be kept away from curious pets.

“As you can see, there are many different plants that could be potentially harmful to your pets. With this in mind, it’s a good idea to take note of this list and inspect your garden to see if you have any of these plants lurking around.

“It’s also smart to make a note of these plants so that you can avoid purchasing any of these plants in the future.”

Source: Read Full Article