I’m a vet and these are the top five most toxic products to dogs – and it’s bad news for coffee lovers | The Sun

A PRO vet has revealed the household products that are most toxic to dogs. 

Amir Anwary is a veterinarian who lives in South Africa and often uses his social media account to share the ins and outs of his job. 

In one clip, he revealed the five most common products found in most homes that are toxic to your furry friends. 

The first thing on his list was anti-freeze, otherwise known as ethylene glycol, which is a tinted liquid that you pour into your radiator to help regulate engine temperature. 

According to The Kennel Club, this can be “extremely dangerous to dogs” as it can damage their “kidneys and can cause death, even after a small amount has been licked”. 

They added: “Once antifreeze has been consumed, it’s broken down by the body into highly toxic chemicals. 

read more fabulous stories


You have 20/20 vision if you can spot the dog in the snow in under 10 seconds


I'm a pet insurance pro – dog owners MUST watch out for deadly Halloween treat

“These chemicals bind to calcium in the body and make crystals that form deposits and cause damage to many different parts of the body, including the lungs, brain and most notably, the kidneys.”

Amir went on to share the second thing on his list, which is bug spray and poisons. These can cause dogs to experience toxicity from insecticide poisoning.

Third is cleaning products as laundry detergent, soaps and many other household cleaning items contain chemicals “which can cause salivation and stomach problems,” The Kennel Club states. 

Dogs can vomit after having any of these, which can come out foamy. This risks vomit getting into the lungs and “causing breathing difficulties”. 

Most read in Fabulous


Inside world first cyber sex brothel where customers pay to romp with sexbots


Moment pub-goer enjoys a pint ‘bare-bummed’ leaving customers horrified


I’m 43 – my toyboy is pals with my son & we celebrated birthdays at soft play


Secret McDonald’s tip to get your hands on all of the Halloween Squishmallows

Amir then said coffee is very toxic to dogs too. The caffeine in coffee can raise blood pressure and “cardiac arrhythmias, which can be dangerous”, according to vcahospitals.com.

They added: “Pets may also lose muscle control and have tremors or seizures. Caffeine affects the gastrointestinal tract and can cause vomiting and diarrhea.”

And finally, Amir said chocolate is a big no for dogs as this can cause serious issues when consumed. 

Chocolate contains theobromine, which is a stimulant similar to caffeine. Dogs are very sensitive to this and it can make them unwell. 

According to The Kennel Club, symptoms of a toxic reaction can include drinking a lot, dribbling, not walking in a straight line and fast breathing. It can even be fatal. 

In the caption of his post, TikTok user @amirthevet wrote: “This is a must for all dog owners!!”

People were quick to comment as one person wrote: “coffee my dogs love coffee,” followed by two shocked face emojis. 

Another person said: “My dog got a small chocolate cupcake out the bin & I nearly died from the stress! Thankfully she a big dog, it was small & didn’t effect her”. 

Read More on The Sun


McDonald's is slashing the price of its Happy Meals for 24 hours – how to claim


I gouged out a gypsy's eye because of my violent temper, reveals Tyson Fury's dad

A third shared: “HOW much coffee because my dog is always sneaking mine if I forget to move it before leaving the room”.

While a fourth added: “My dog will drink my coffee if I leave it unattended! Knucklehead,” followed by a crying with laughter emoji.

Source: Read Full Article