5 common houseplants that are dangerous to children and pets – including snake plant and peace lily | The Sun

THERE'S so many things to worry about when it comes to looking after your children and pets.

But now, you can add houseplants to the list as well as there are many that can be toxic.

There are several common houseplants that can be dangerous for humans and your beloved furry friend, so you might want to think twice about your indoor garden.

While the vast majority of houseplants are safe, there are over 700 indoor/outdoor plants that can be dangerous.

Snake Plant

Snake plants or mother-in-law's tongue are one of the easiest plants to keep alive, but they can be dangerous.

Although it might be easy to look after, it can spell trouble for children and pets thanks to its toxic properties.


Shoppers rush to buy 89p seeds which must be planted NOW in time for autumn

The gardening mistake that could leave you with a £5k fine… but it’s avoidable

The toxicity level is low, but can produce short-lasting symptoms in children such as mouth pain, salivation, and some nausea. In rare instances, it can produce a dermatological reaction but is mainly toxic only if ingested.

If a pet gets a hold of it, it can cause excessive salivation, pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhoea reports the Express.

Elephant Ear

These plants look great indoors with bold, bright leaves to inject colour into the home.

But again, these pretty plants are best kept out of the way of humans and pets who might be keen to touch or try to eat it.

Most read in Fabulous


Inside the lavish life of Prince Louis – £8k gift to £27k-a-week Caribbean hols


The sun’s at the top of your chart and you are at the peak of your game


I wear PJs outside – I just tuck them in but statement heels complete the look

level up

I’m interior guru – 10 hacks to make your home look way bigger than it actually is

Children touching the stems or leaves can cause skin irritation and possibly a rash and itching.

Eating the leaves, stems, or sap can cause a burning sensation in the mouth and throat and lead to swelling

Cats and dogs chewing or biting into this plant will release these crystals causing tissue penetration and irritation of the mouth and GI tract, and can cause swelling in the airways.

Peace Lily

A Peace Lily plant makes the perfect centrepiece with its single blossoming flower and lush green leaves.

Plus, this plant can also help detoxify in the room it's been put in says Toddleabout.

But you might want to skip it if you have children or pets roaming around the home.

Lily's are well-known to be toxic, like the elephant plant, it releases crystals that can block the airway in both children and pets and also cause skin irritation.

English Ivy

This ivy plant is well-loved for being able to climb over walls and trees adding a cottage-core vibe to any home.

But this plant can cause a multitude of problems for children and pets.

Ivy can cause severe skin irritation in children.

Ingestion can cause even more problems such as burning in the mouth and throat, stupor, convulsions, fever, and rash.

Usually, symptoms are only severe if large amounts of the plant are eaten.

Dogs and cats can suffer from diarrhea, hyperactivity, gasping breaths, weakness, tremors, staggering, and vomiting.


This common plant is often given as a gift but can cause a problem for parents.

Read More on The Sun

Vet reveals three dog toys all pet owners should never buy

Millions of households can apply for energy bill support worth £600 in weeks

The main thing to watch out for is fallen leaves with children and pets as they can be toxic if eaten.

Both children and pets could experience irritated skin, stomach upset and vomiting

Source: Read Full Article