GET tickled pink for spring by boosting lunchtimes with meals that give you a burst of blush.
Morrisons has slashed the price of 250g beetroot from 85p to 69p – and 400g plums from £1 to 69p. Add berries, pomegranate seeds or shiny red apples to give your plate a cheerful glow.
And give the rose-tinted recipes below a go.
Baked stuffed apples
Serves four – 83p per serving
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 4 apples, we recommend Cox’s when they are in season but Gala have a longer season and work perfectly for this recipe
- ½ lemon, juice only
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 100g goat’s cheese, leave rind on
- 2 tbsp red onion, peeled and finely diced
- 75g chunky, fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Cut the top off four apples and use a spoon to scoop out the core, leaving the apple whole.
- Take a small slice off the bottom of each apple so it will sit securely. Rub all the cut apple pieces with the juice of half a lemon. Prick the apples a few times with a fork then rub over 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil.
- In a bowl, mix together the rinded goat’s cheese and red onion, then season.
- Stuff this into each apple and stand them in a baking dish.
- Place the chunky fresh breadcrumbs in a bowl with 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil and the hazelnuts. Season and mix then press this over each apple.
- Replace the apple tops and roast for 15 minutes with tops on, then 10 minutes with tops off so the breadcrumbs can brown. Serve with mixed salad.
Eggy spelt bread with fruit
Serves two – £1.41 per serving
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
- 2 eggs
- 2 slices spelt bread, halved
- 1 tsp rapeseed oil
- 50g raspberries (or any berries you like)
- 30g blueberries
- 50g strawberries
- 3 tsp honey
- 2 scoops creme fraiche
- Beat the eggs in a bowl, then soak the bread in the beaten egg for a few minutes, turning halfway through.
- Drizzle the rapeseed oil in a non-stick pan over a high
- heat. When the pan is hot, add the eggy bread. Leave it to cook for a couple of minutes then flip to the other side.
- Divide the bread between two plates, place the fruit and
- creme fraiche on top and drizzle with honey.
Beat the blues smoothie
Serves one – £1.05 per serving
Preparation time: 10 minutes
- 3 carrots
- 1 beetroot
- 5cm fresh ginger
- 1 apple
- 120ml apple juice (optional)
- Peel carrots, beetroot and apple then chop into similar-sized pieces. Peel ginger, add with other ingredients to a mixer and blend until smooth.
- Add apple juice if needed to smooth blend. Get a large bowl and pour in the juice through a fine mesh strainer.
- With a spatula, press down the pulp to squeeze out all the juice (or add the pulp for a thicker mix). Pour the juice into a glass and enjoy.
GOT a story? RING The Sun on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL [email protected]
Source: Read Full Article