Here’s a look at the week ahead on our “Sunday Morning” Calendar:
Monday is National Cat Day, a celebration of felines and a call for their wider adoption.
- National Cat Day (October 29)
- Follow @NationalCatDay on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
- Joel Sartore on wild cats: Felines that lurk in the shadows (“Sunday Morning,” 07/22/18)
- Purr-adise: Hawaii’s cat sanctuary (“Sunday Morning, 09/16/18)
- 75-year-old man who naps with cats while volunteering goes viral (CBSN)
- Gallery: The Kitten Covers: Albums re-imagined with cats!
Tuesday marks the 80th anniversary of the notorious Orson Welles “War of the Worlds” radio show about a supposed invasion from Mars.
To listen to Orson Welles’ 1938 radio broadcast click on player below:
- Script: Mercury Theatre’s “War of the Worlds” (adapted by Howard Koch)
- Orson Welles on the response to the “War of the Worlds” broadcast (BBC)
- Did the 1938 radio broadcast of “War of the Worlds” cause a nationwide panic? (Snopes)
- Monument at New Jersey site of Martian “landing” (Atlas Obscura)
- “War of the Worlds” 2005 (“Sunday Morning,” 06/24/05)
Wednesday is All Hallow’s Eve – Halloween – a night for ghosts and goblins and trick-or-treating.
- Gallery: Bizarre horror movie gems you probably haven’t seen
- Gallery: The horror films of George A. Romero
- David Edelstein on the scariest movie ever
- Gallery: The films of horror master John Carpenter
- Gallery: The films of horror maestro Wes Craven
- 13 modern horror classics for any mood
- Gallery: Hollywood’s evil children
On Thursday, former WNBA president Lisa Borders becomes the first president and CEO of Time’s Up, dedicated to ensuring equal employment opportunity and protection for all working women.
- Time’s Up
- Follow @timesupnow on Twitter and Instagram
- Oprah Winfrey on “Time’s Up”: Where do we go from here? (“Sunday Morning,” 01/14/18)
- Top Hollywood women join forces to fight sexual misconduct (CBS Moneywatch, 01/07/18)
- It’s complicated: When filmmakers’ legacies intertwine with #MeToo (“Sunday Morning,” 03/04/18)
- Women candidates poised to make history in 2018 midterm elections (CBS News, 10/20/18)
- Time’s Up to CBS: Change your culture and donate $120 million from Moonves’ severance (CBS News, 09/11/18)
Friday sees the release of the last monthly employment report before the midterm elections.
- Monthly Employment Situation Summary (Bureau of Labor Statistics)
- Fact check: Trump on economy & jobs (CBS Moneywatch, 06/05/18)
- Fact Check: Who gets credit for the booming U.S. economy? (NPR, 09/12/18)
- Fewer Americans are moving for work than ever (CBS Moneywatch, 08/16/18)
And Saturday is National Sandwich Day, a day for snacking on the food creation generally credited to John Montagu, the fourth Earl of Sandwich, back in the 1700s.
- National Sandwich Day (November 3)
- Grilled cheese sandwich recipes from chef Eric Greenspan (“Sunday Morning,” 05/05/13)
- Celebrating the Cuban sandwich (“Sunday Morning,” 11/22/15)
- Recipe: The original Cuban Sandwich (“Sunday Morning,” 11/21/15)
- Recipe: David Cáceres’ Mexican Cubana Torta (“CBS This Morning,” 06/02/18)
Perhaps this clip from the Nickelodeon show “Yo Gabba Gabba” will make you want to eat sandwiches?
Source: Read Full Article