Slipper lobsters are great ingredients to work with if you want an indulgent seafood meal at home but do not fancy dealing with the icky process of dispatching live seafood.
There are many ways to cook slipper lobsters and a straightforward approach is to use fermented black beans as a base ingredient for the gravy.
It is a bonus if you have chicken stock, but don’t sweat it if you don’t.
The slipper lobsters impart a marvellous sweetness to the gravy and the fermented black beans add aromatic savouriness.
Add more water and adjust with more seasoning if you want more gravy.
The best part about dining in the comfort of your own home?
You will not be judged when you choose to add rice to the serving dish to mop up any remaining gravy.
• Follow Hedy Khoo on Instagram @hedchefhedykhoo
• Follow Straits Times Food on Instagram and Facebook @straitstimesfood
SLIPPER LOBSTERS WITH FERMENTED BLACK BEANS
3 Tbs cooking oil
30g ginger, sliced
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 Tbs fermented black beans
1 red onion (120g), sectioned
6 slipper lobsters (1.2kg), cleaned and halved
2 Tbs oyster sauce
1 tsp dark soya sauce
1 Tbs Shaoxing wine
Dash of ground white pepper
1 tsp sesame oil
2 eggs, beaten
2 Tbs cornflour and 2 Tbs water
15g spring onion, cut into 5cm lengths
1. In a wok over medium heat, fry the ginger in the cooking oil for 1 minute.
2. Add the garlic and fry for 45 seconds.
3. Add the fermented black beans and fry for 45 seconds.
4. Add the red onion and fry for 45 seconds.
5. Add the slipper lobsters and fry for 2 minutes. 6. Add the oyster sauce, dark soya sauce and water.
7. Add the Shaoxing wine, white pepper and sesame oil.
8. Cover and let the mixture cook on high heat for 4 minutes.
9. Uncover and stir in the beaten eggs.
10. Stir well. Mix the cornflour with 2 Tbs of water and add this to the wok.
11. Once the gravy reaches a simmer and the shells are orange in colour, turn off the heat.
12. Add the spring onion and stir briefly.
13. Serve immediately.
Serves three to four
Go to ST Food for more trusted reviews and recipes
Read the latest on the Covid-19 situation in Singapore and beyond on our dedicated site here.
Get The Straits Times app and receive breaking news alerts and more. Download from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store now.
Source: Read Full Article