PRINCE Harry and Meghan Markle aren't getting Met Police protection because the risk is so LOW, an ex-royal cop said.
Protection officers have deemed the risk low at this stage – but if the situation changes, then the police will be "duty-bound" to protect the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.
Dai Davies, the former head of royal protection, said that checks on their risk level would have been taken – and as it stands the risk is deemed too "low" to give Harry what he wants.
He also said that there has "never been a precedence" in Britain where people pay for their security – and Harry can't "pick and choose" when he wants or needs it.
The Duke is seeking round-the-clock police protection because his “security was compromised” when he returned to the UK this summer.
His and Meghan’s security was costing taxpayers around £5million a year when they lived in Britain.
They now fund their lifestyle thanks to his multi million-pound Netflix and Spotify deals — and Harry says he would not burden the taxpayer with his policing costs.
But it is understood that government officials refused his demands fearing it would open the door to any wealthy individual to use The Met’s crack team as their private police force.
Most read in The Sun
Everything you can and can't do after Covid rules changed TODAY
GMB's Kate & Ben fight tears as they reveal death of beloved guest Isla, 7
Andrew 'on collision course with Palace' as he demands jury for lawsuit
Mum's agony after son, 5, 'stabbed to death' as cops quiz woman on murder
Former head of royal protection Dai Davies told Good Morning Britain: "When we look at any aspect of protection, any member of the royal family, we actually look and assess it through various security agencies.
"That's the crux. And it's been decided, in this level, that they won't supply him with protection because the risk, at this stage, is deemed low.
"However should there be a risk when he comes, then clearly the Metropolitan Police would be duty-bound.
"Clearly, it has been reviewed in the same way as so many other royal security have been done.
"Princess Anne for instance, his aunt, she doesn't get full-time protection we're told now.
"And arguably in 1974, she was nearly kidnapped and nearly murdered. Her protection officer was shot.
"With regards to Harry, he can't pick and choose when and if he wants to come.
"There has never been a precedence where someone pays for their security in this country.
"If it's required, it will be provided."
Harry considers himself a security risk for life because he is sixth in line to the throne, and a target from extremist threats because of his two tours of combat in Afghanistan.
He plans to sue the Government to give him back the protection he lost after quitting royal duties.
Harry lost the privilege two years ago when he told Her Majesty that he was quitting royal duty to live in California with wife Meghan.
But a royal source said: “Her Majesty certainly won’t cave in to his demands.”
In 1974, protection officer Ronnie Russell rushed to help Princess Anne, punching her attacker Ian Ball – who had fired bullets into the royal car – and saved her during the kidnap attempt near Buckingham Palace.
Princess Anne, who was then 23 years old, was being driven along The Mall, central London, on March 20 when the brazen attack was carried out.
She had been returning to Buckingham Palace with her first husband, Captain Mark Phillips, after the couple had attended a charity event.
They were not injured during the late-night attack, and Russell recalls Ball trying to drag Princess Anne from her car while her new husband was pulling her back.
Source: Read Full Article