MEGHAN Markle hopes the deal she and Harry made with Netflix will land her an Oscar, it's been claimed.
It was confirmed this week that the couple secured a £112million deal with the streaming service and plan to produce a range of 'inspirational' programmes.
⚠️Read our Meghan and Harry blog for the latest news on the Royal couple.
The former Suits star, 39,left her acting career behind when she married into the royal family, but now Meghan hopes to finally get the Academy Award she's always wanted, a source told The Mail on Sunday.
A long-time friend told the publication: "An Oscar is all Meg has ever wanted. She used to practise her acceptance speech in the mirror with a hairbrush when she was a kid of seven.
"She would also practise her signature in preparation for all the autographs she would give.
"Her absolute dream was to achieve the EGOT – the grand slam of showbusiness – which is winning an Emmy, Grammy, Oscar and Tony award."
The source also added that 'her acceptance speech has been ready for 30 years' and suggested that she might now be finally able to use it.
According to the publication, Meghan and Harry are following in the footsteps of Barack and Michelle Obama who also signed a Netflix deal which won them an Oscar this year for the documentary American Factory.
Describing Harry and Meghan’s plans, their American spokeswoman gushed: "The focus will be on creating a wide-range of programmes about stories and issues that resonate with them personally – including highlighting issues that their non-profit [company] Archewell is focused on.
"Enabling a more compassionate and equitable world isn’t just something they do through their non-profit, it’s a belief they hold and model themselves which will carry through in this venture."
Although their production company is yet to be officially announced, it's thought to be called MWX, trading after their Mountbatten-Windsor surname.
The couple plan to produce a wide range of documentaries including an animated series on inspirational women.
According to The Mail on Sunday, a source said it would be ‘impossible’ for them to use their royal titles for any production credits because 'they will be accused of, and indeed actually be, cashing in on their royal status which they pledged not to do’.
The Netflix deal has been in the works for some time, and the streaming service finally agreed to an annual retainer for at least two years.
It's believed Netflix will contribute sponsorship and support to Archewell, Meghan and Harry's foundation named after their son Archie, now 15 months old.
In regards to publicity surrounding their work, a source told The Mail on Sunday:"Harry and Meghan won’t be rent-a-royals for the red carpet."
"They will go and network with power players, but they want to retain complete control. They won’t be forced to do anything they don’t want to.
"It’s a win-win as Netflix have the biggest pockets but they also have a problem in being taking seriously. Harry and Meghan bring prestige – in return they get lots of cash."
Meanwhile, Meghan Markle and Prince Harry ‘DIDN’T tell the Queen about their mega Netflix deal before announcing it’.
Before this mega-bucks Netflix deal, it was reported the couple were offered a million-pound deal with Spotify to produce exclusive podcasts.
The production company is understood to operate differently from their charitable foundation – Archewell.
Last month, Harry and Meghan officially changed the name of their Sussex Royal brand to the MWX Foundation, it was reported.
Source: Read Full Article